Note that: “Willow Glen Green Burial & Natural Area,” “Willow Glen”, “We,” “Our,” and “Us” refer to Willow Glen Green Burial & Natural Area and or the Willow Glen Cemetery Association. “You” or “Your” refers to lot owners and their heirs and assignees and may include visitors where specified. “Visitors” refers to anyone including lot owners, heirs, and assignees who visit Willow Glen Green Burial & Natural Area as part of a funeral party, or simply to walk around and enjoy the property. A “natural burial lot” is a burial area intended for the burial of one person.
1. All lots in Willow Glen are sold in accordance with the provisions of the laws of the State of New York and shall not be used for any other purposes than as a burial place for deceased human beings.
2. In order to schedule a burial with us, you must purchase a lot for the deceased unless the deceased has already purchased one. You must also provide us with:
- A fully completed Interment Data Sheet
3. If you choose burial in a standard green burial area we will allow plantings of Finger Lakes native herbaceous annuals or perennials only.
4. Only one person, whether as a body or as cremated remains, may be buried in each natural burial lot — Cremated remains may also be scattered in the areas reserved for them. Please ask us for details.
5. If you purchase two or more natural burial lots, we encourage you to designate family members or friends as owners of each site.
6. You may transfer your natural burial lot to another person—but see (5), (7) and (8). If you purchase a natural burial lot for yourself but, upon death, are buried elsewhere, then your site passes according to NYS Law according to Section 1512 of the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law.
7. You are prohibited from allowing someone to inter a body on your natural burial lot in exchange for money, goods, or services.
8. If you decide you want to sell your natural burial lot, NYS law requires that you first offer the lot back to Willow Glen. You may also “gift” the lot back to Willow Glen, as a tax-deductible gift-in-kind for the full amount of the price you paid for the lot.
9. You must pay the full purchase price with cash or personal check before a deed will be given or burial allowed on a natural burial lot.
10. We reserve the right to remove all flowers, wreaths, or other decorations, without notice, as soon as they become unsightly. Ceramic or glass vases or blocks of glass or plastic, flags, artificial flowers, and other decorations may not be placed on graves or lots.
11. You may not place embellishments/effigies or statuettes on natural burial lots. We reserve the right to remove any embellishment from the lot upon due notice to the lot owner..
12. Our Board of Directors shall have sole discretion as to all matters regarding landscaping and plantings, including landscaping plan and care, pruning, re-vegetation of graves, and removal of vegetation. No unauthorized plantings or hedges, fences or enclosures of any kind are permitted on or around sites. We may, without notice, remove or alter unauthorized plantings or enclosures.
13. Funerals must be completed at Willow Glen Green Burial & Natural Area by 3:30 p.m. so that we have sufficient time to properly close the grave and remove the equipment before 5 p.m. If advance notice is given to Willow Glen Green Burial & Natural Area, funeral parties may help close the grave.
14. All funerals, processions and vehicles will be under the control of Willow Glen Green Burial & Natural Area/Willow Glen staff. Discharging firearms is permitted only at military funerals.
15. No cut, machined, or polished markers or monuments of any kind are permitted. You may have engraved natural flat rocks indigenous to or quarried in the Finger Lakes area, set flush with the ground and encompassing no more than 400 square inches. Such markers will be placed over the grave.
16. Our workers and contractors may enter or cross over any cemetery lot at Willow Glen to perform normal cemetery operations.
17. Trails and lanes will be established and maintained but will not traverse over the site of a burial. (See also 14.)
18. All work done at the Willow Glen Green Burial & Natural Area, including but not limited to landscaping and care of lots shall be done by Willow Glen Green Burial & Natural Area/Willow Glen employees or by volunteers supervised by Willow Glen employees.
19. Visitors may come to the Willow Glen Green Burial & Natural Area during daylight hours, observing our rules and the propriety due to us. Your pets must be on a leash and under your control at all times. Motorcycles and other loud vehicles, except for trucks and equipment necessary for our operation, must park outside cemetery property.
20. Disinterments will be allowed on regular business days between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., provided they are in compliance with all the provisions of Section 1510(e) of the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law.
21. We are open for burials six days a week. If severe weather conditions preclude burial on any given day a reasonable delay may happen. We are closed on New Years’ Day, Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. If you need to arrange a burial on a holiday, you must get in touch with us at least three full days in advance of that holiday. We will let you know as soon as possible whether we are able to accommodate you.
22. If a burial needs to take place during seasons when ground conditions are unfavorable, such as, but not limited to when deep snow is on the ground, we may not be able to dig the grave in the site originally selected. At these times, the original site must be exchanged for one in our winter burial area.
23. Concrete, steel vaults and grave liners will not be permitted at Willow Glen Green Burial & Natural Area.
24. Bodies or cremated remains may be interred only in natural biodegradable materials such as, but not limited to, wood, wicker or a cloth shroud. Ask us or your funeral director for guidance. Metal, concrete, plastic, or other synthetic materials and stone may not be used for interment at Willow Glen Green Burial & Natural Area.
25. Remains that are embalmed or otherwise chemically preserved may not be interred at Willow Glen Green Burial & Natural Area except under special circumstances (such as the legal requirements of the state of origin or if the embalming was done accidentally before Willow Glen Green Burial & Natural Area requirements were known), and unless our staff grant approval.
26. We reserve the right to refuse to bury remains that have not been brought to Willow Glen Green Burial & Natural Area within seven days after death.
27. Graves may take several years to settle back to the original ground level. Sometimes graves settle unevenly, even from one day to the next. If you visit a grave and find uneven settling, please be assured that our caretaker will attend to it soon.
28. The Willow Glen Cemetery Association and the Willow Glen Green Burial & Natural Area and its trustees, officers, employees and agents assume no liability for damage, mental anguish, or loss caused by vandalism or other acts beyond its reasonable control.
29. These rules and regulations may be amended by our Trustees, and will be effective when approved by the New York State Cemetery Board.